A Hot Water Heater can last up to 10 years if its conditions are checked from time to time and well maintained on a monthly basis. These are simple appliances that need routine maintenance for working smoothly. It does not matter if you have an electric based Water Heater or a gas based one. Water heaters are prone to get damaged and often you might not even sense any sign of defects before the system breaks down completely. To avoid this from happening, it is of utmost importance to check your heater properly monthly if not weekly. All Water Products hosts the largest range of water heater products. Their state-of-the-art technology makes hot water heaters last long and keeps you out of any water-related troubles. To get a lifelong relief from water heater related problems trust only All Water Products.
Many people get scared thinking of the fact that plumbing can be tricky and a difficult job to pull off. But maintaining a Hot Water Heater does not actually count as ‘plumbing’. It is similar to checking on a friend who happens to be inanimate in this case. The best way to have a fully functioning water heater is by taking care of it yourself. Plumber services might be costly at times as well. Therefore, to save your Hot Water Heater from getting damaged, follow the below-mentioned guidelines and enjoy a long-lasting hot water service with ease.
- Check the Temperature-Pressure-Release valve also known as TPR valve. This valve is located either on top or side of the heater tank. All you have to do is to turn the power off and the valve that enables the cold water to run. You should check if on opening the TRP valve, water keeps flowing or not. If it continues to flow then you need to change the valve and replace with a new one.
- Insulation is the key to avoid major water heater problems. You should make sure that the water heater is insulated securely and for this you will need an insulating blanket, a pair of scissors, a tape and foil. Start with enveloping the side of the heater keeping no area uncovered. It is better not to cover the top for technical reasons. Lastly, tape all the edges with a foil and your insulated water heater is ready.
- You can also insulate the hot and cold water pipes for better safety.
- It is important to check the temperature of the heater from time to time and adjust in case you are not using it for a long time. You can do this by using your screwdriver. After removing the cover of the temperature plate with screwdriver, try to dial down the temperature when not in use.
- Flushing the tank comes next as an equally important step as the first one. Tanks can get dirty and filled with sediments if not cleaned properly over a long period of time. This may give rise to flow of dirty and smelly hot water. To prevent this, drain the tank on a weekly basis and repeat the same process for a number of times until you see the water to be clean enough.
These were the simple tricks and techniques of maintaining your Hot Water Heater to keep its function intact. You may always opt for a plumber but doing it yourself will keep the machine under proper control because of the regularity.